The UK Regimental Associations of the pre-1947 Gurkha Regiments have been dissolved. The surviving members of those associations remain as full members of the Gurkha Brigade Association and are looked after by the Brigade Secretary who can be contacted via the Brigade Secretary, at GurkhasBde-BdeSec@mod.uk
Details of these Regiments are listed below.
The 1 Gurkha Rifles is a Gurkha infantry regiment of the Indian Army. It was originally formed as part of the British Indian Army in 1815, later adopting the title of the 1st King George V’s Own Gurkha Rifles (The Malaun Regiment), however, in 1947, following India’s independence in 1947, it was transferred to the Indian Army and in 1950 when India became a Republic, it was re designated as the 1 Gurkha Rifles (The Malaun Regiment). The regiment has a long tradition and has participated in many conflicts, including many of the colonial conflicts prior to Independence, as well as the First and Second World Wars. Since 1947 the regiment has also participated in a number of campaigns against Pakistan in 1965 and 1971 as well as undertaking peacekeeping duties as part of the United Nations.
The 3 Gorkha Rifles is an Indian Army infantry regiment. It was originally a Gurkha regiment of the British Indian Army formed in 1815. They were present at a number of actions and wars including the Siege of Delhi in 1857 to the First and Second World Wars. After the Partition of India in 1947 the regiment was one of the six Gorkha regiments transferred to the Indian Army as part of the Tripartite Agreement signed between India, Nepal and Britain at the time of Indian independence. Prior to independence, the regiment was known as the 3rd Queen Alexandra’s Own Gurkha Rifles. In 1950 the regiment’s title was changed to 3 Gorkha Rifles. Since 1947 the regiment has participated in a number of conflicts including the 1947 and 1971 wars against Pakistan.
The 4 Gorkha Rifles is an infantry regiment of the Indian Army. It was originally raised in 1857 as part of the British Indian Army, but after India’s independence in 1947 it was one of six Gurkha regiments transferred to the Indian Army. The regiment was formerly known as the 4th Prince of Wales’s Own Gurkha Rifles, but after it was transferred to the Indian Army its name was changed upon India becoming a republic. Since its establishment 156 years ago, the regiment has fought in many conflicts and earned many battle honours, including the Second Afghan War, the Boxer Rebellion, the First World War, the Second World War and most of the wars and Counter Insurgency Operations India has fought since independence.
The 5 Gurkha Rifles (Frontier Force) is an infantry regiment of the Indian Army comprising Gurkha soldiers of Nepalese origin. It was formed in 1858 as part of the British Indian Army and served in the First World War and Second World War. The regiment was one of the Gurkha regiments that was transferred to the Indian Army following independence in 1947. The regiment was formerly known as the 5th Royal Gurkha Rifles (Frontier Force). Since 1947, the regiment has served in a number of conflicts, including the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965 and the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971. It has also participated in peacekeeping operations in Sri Lanka.
The 8th Gurkha Rifles is a Gurkha regiment of the Indian Army. It was raised in 1824 as part of the British East India Company and later transferred to the British Indian Army after the Indian Rebellion of 1857. The regiment served in the World War I and World War II, before being one of the Gurkha regiments transferred to the Indian Army after independence in 1947. Since then it has served in a number of conflicts including the Sino-Indian War of 1962 and the Indo-Pakistan wars of 1965 and 1971. Today the 8th Gurkha Rifles is one of the most celebrated regiments of the Indian Army, having received numerous citations for bravery in the field of battle, and even producing one of the two field marshals, Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw, of the Indian Army.
The 9th Gurkha Rifles was a Gurkha Regiment of the British Indian Army and dates it’s origin from the Infantry Levy at Fatehgarh in 1817 following the ending of the 2nd Nepal War in 1814. The Regiment was one of the five Gurkhas Regiments to remain in the Indian Army as part of the tripartite agreement for partition. Great pride in the Regiments’ history and high standards of achievement have been maintained and a close relationship with former British Officers and their families endures; once the Regiment always the Regiment.The 9th was the only Gurkha Regiment to recruit soldiers from the Khasa root, the Chettri (Kshtriya) and Thakuri classes, which it is believed originated from refugees from the 11th Century Mohammendan invasion of India. The Regiment was one of the few Regiments who can claim a battle honour “Bhurtpore” from 1826 and “Sobraon” in 1846 and was heavily involved in both World Wars with service in France, Middle East, Italy, Burma and Malaya (Chindits, Special Forces) as well as Indonesia. Three Victoria Crosses were awarded.