Policy: Dep Col Comdt tabled an urgent question in the House of Lords for 19 May.
Civilian: Change Org petition to Foreign Secretary launched with lots of high profile signatories: Joanna Lumley, Michael Palin, scientists, academics, Everest climbers, Gurkha veterans, including Capt Rambahadur Limbu V, two former Colonel Commandants and other friends of Nepal, join the call for urgent medical aid. Petition – Send Oxygen to Nepal
Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO)
- Planning for draw-down of non-essential staff and dependents asap. Core staff will remain in place to continue developmental work.
- Facing increased pressure from the Govt of Nepal and interested parties in the UK to provide greater support.
- Colonel Commandant and Headquarters Brigade of Gurkhas have engaged with senior leaders in Army HQ.
- Chief of the General’s Staff’s (CGS) office engaging with DA Kathmandu.
- Ongoing planning in MOD:
- The worsening COVID situation in Nepal has led to concurrent activity by FCDO and Defence – to generate maximum support.
- The planned MOD/FCDO discussion provides an opportunity to reassess the humanitarian situation and further support options.
- Defence Support are on standby to facilitate movements as required.
- Army HQ staff are reviewing options to provide wider support to Nepal in line with the FCDO intent.
- Army has a prioritised list to withdraw all non-essential and at-risk service personnel/dependants to UK. Total c150 pax (including those on leave). HQBG has established a team to provide support on arrival.