For info – an initial report from Commander British Gurkha Nepal (Col Sean Harris) on the earthquake in Nepal:
7.5-7.9 on R Scale.
Location – 82 KM west of Kathmandu.
- Local Damage moderate – ancient sites levelled.
- Embassy and BGN intact.
- Elements of DFID relocated to BGN
- The British School deciding whether to move across to BGN for security and accommodation.
- Estimates 500+ dead.
- BGN injuries one (suspected) broken arm and minor head injury to soldier.
- All personnel accounted for.
- British Gurkhas Kathmandu, Pokhara and Dharan intact.
Please also note:
- Brigade of Gurkhas Everest Expedition Team members all accounted for (one minor injury)
- Tribhuwan International Airport is closed until further notice.
- Comms in Nepal including Landlines/mobile sketchy at best.
Full SITREP to follow in due course.
Point of contact for HQ Bde of Gurkhas is Maj Bijayant Sherchan, DCOS HQBG.
Contact no- 07990860762