Vacancy at the Gurkha Museum Winchester
Part time Museum Assistant - Winchester
The Museum Assistant will be required to cover several aspects of Museum duties including work in reception, the Museum, mobile shops, events, gallery functions and assist with general admin. This may also include any other work as designated by the Director or Assistant Director including maintenance and general Museum security.
Salary: £18,000 pro rata
Details: Part Time – 14.5 hours per week (two full days)
- Reports to: The Assistant Director, Gurkha Museum.
- Main Duties: The Museum Assistant will be required to cover several aspects of Museum duties including work in reception, the Museum, mobile shops, events, gallery functions and assist with general admin. This may also include any other work as designated by the Director or Assistant Director including maintenance and general Museum security.
- Hours of Work: Part time employment; working a total of 14½ hours a week with 45 minute unpaid lunch break on Friday and Saturday, which days may alter by agreement as required for the operational efficiency of the Museum.
- Job Overview:
- Museum Duties:
- The duties as an Assistant cover several aspects of Museum activity, primarily manning the reception desk. Other duties include building security, Health and Safety (SHE) checks, good housekeeping in the Museum, attention to the security of the cabinets and displays, helping to set up displays and to carry out occasional maintenance tasks.
- To open all parts of the Museum for day to day activity whether alone or in company with others and to prepare all Museum areas to receive visitors.
- To man the reception desk and receive entry fees from the sale of tickets to visitors of all categories. And to complete a reconciliation at the end of each day.
- To deal with general telephone enquiries and those requiring to purchase shop items.
- To keep the reception and public areas in a clean, neat and tidy condition
- The Assistant may from time to time be required to open, man and close the shop. This involves a complete security check and carrying out financial reconciliations.
- As well as manning the shop the Assistant may also be required to select, pack, dispatch and financially account for items sold by Mail Order. Also select and pack items for Mobile Shops. The Assistant may be asked to attend Museum Mobile Shops which may be during normal working hours or at evenings or weekends. Time off in lieu will be allocated if outside normal working hours.
(8) When working in the Gallery the Assistant may be required to lay out, and serve at the bar, account for the drinks sold and tidy up at the end of the function. Also, on occasions, lay out, serve at and clear up from the dining tables and washing up.
- These duties could be anywhere in the Museum as designated by the Director or Assistant Director.
- The Job holder may also be required to help with the Museum postal system and on other office administrative tasks.
- Good communication skills – written and oral. Essential
- Willingness to travel and work flexibly. Essential
- Full UK driving licence. Essential
- Operating as part of a team. Essential
- Ability to speak Nepali due to large number of Nepalese visitors. Desirable
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge and understanding of the military and particularly the Brigade of Gurkhas.
- Use of tills, computers and other ITC
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Flexibility over working hours and arrangements as may be reasonably required.
- Experience of work in a Reception, Security, Shop, Events, Commercial, Catering or Admin support role.
Closing date for applications 29 November 2019. Interviews to be held week beginning 2 December.