THE GURKHA WELFARE TRUST
Job Type:Full Time; Permanent
Closing Date:23 October 2015
generous package including medical insurance scheme and contribution to a personal pension plan.
The Director is the Trust’s chief executive and is answerable to Trustees for the delivery of its objects as laid down in the Trust’s Memorandum and Articles of Association.
The Director reports to the Chairman of the Board of Trustees.
- Develop the vision, strategic objectives, goals and policies of the Trust.
- Develop a five year plan to deliver the Trust’s vision and achieve its strategic objectives.
- Responsible for the development, management and re-forecasting of the annual Trust budget in line with the revised vision and strategic objectives.
- Act on behalf of the Trust in any necessary consultation with UK Government Departments.
- Lead in securing and developing relationships and working practices with Implementing Partners, both in support of Trust work in Nepal and UK.
- Oversee the development of the Trust’s Communications Strategy and act when required as spokesman for the Trust when dealing with Government Ministries, media and other agencies as required.
- Support the Trust’s programme of major donor development in order to provide the resources necessary to achieve the Trust’s vision and strategic objectives.
- Assist the Governance Committee in the work of ensuring the Trust’s governance arrangements are compliant and conform to best practice.
- Support the Board in ensuring that the Board’s agenda and the running of the charity conforms to the requirements of the Charities Act, the Companies Act and other relevant legislation, and supports good governance.
- Maintain oversight of the activities of the Trust’s field arm, the Gurkha Welfare Scheme.
- Support Headquarters Brigade of Gurkhas in the development of pan Brigade policies as they affect the Gurkha brand.
Page BreakRequired Background, Skills & Qualifications:
The successful applicant will have:
- Senior leadership skills capable of leading a large and diverse Service charity through a period of significant change.
- An ability to lead a senior management team and a diverse company of Trust employees and stakeholders at all levels, especially The Brigade of Gurkhas, the Gurkha Brigade Association and the Gurkha Museum.
- A proven and accomplished staff officer, capable of preparing papers and briefing at both strategic and operational levels. Must have the personality to communicate confidently and effectively in a cordial and friendly manner.
- An understanding of the retired and active components of the Brigade of Gurkhas.
- Track record of leading and implementing change at a senior level in a large and diverse organisation.
- Programme and project management experience of turning a vision and strategic objectives into a deliverable and costed plan.
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills at all levels.
- An ability to share and contribute to the ethos and vision of the Trust.
- An understanding of the relationship between development and relief operations in a developing country would be an advantage.
Desirable Skills & Qualifications:
- Previous service in the Brigade of Gurkhas and an ability to speak Nepali.
- Experience in public relations.
For further information about the role please contact the Director on email@example.com or telephone: 01722 323955. Please submit your CV and covering letter to:
Colonel W F Shuttlewood OBE
The Gurkha welfare Trust
PO Box 2170
22 Queen Street
Note: Interviews will be held in early November and the successful candidate will be asked to take up the post in early 2016.