The British Army recruits people from Nepal to train to become a Gurkha
We run recruitment in Nepal for selection into the British Army and The Gurkha Contingent Singapore Police Force.
Our selection is free, fair and transparent. You will find the information needed to help you prepare for selection.
This year, we will be selecting the best 200 Potential Recruits to join Britain’s Brigade of Gurkhas and the best 144 for the Gurkha Contingent Singapore Police Force (GCSPF) on the British Army website.
In order to apply you must be Nepalese (Nepalese birth certificate) and live in Nepal.
Interested PRs joining the British Army and Singapore Police Force will need to register their name online prior to physical registration. The link will be provided on our website and the online registration period will be between 01 April 2023 and 30 April 2023. The call-forward list for Phase 1 (Registration) will be published on the British Gurkhas Nepal website on 05 May 2023.
Registration ten-week phase comprising a full day’s programme attended by candidates who have provided all required information during online registration. Phase 1 (Registration) will be held at British Gurkhas Pokhara and British Gurkhas Dharan between 22 May 2023 and 28 Jul 2023, and Area Welfare Centre (AWC Bheri) in Surkhet from 05 June 2023 to 14 Jul 2023. The call-forward list for Phase 2 (Initial Selection) will be published on the British Gurkhas Nepal website on 04 Aug 2023.
Initial Selection is a six-week phase comprising a full day’s programme attended by successful PRs from Phase 1 (Registration). This will be a combined BA & GCSPF Phase 2 (Initial Selection), which will be held at British Gurkhas Pokhara. The dates for combined selection will be between 01 September 2023 and 13 October 2023. PRs are scored and placed in an Order of Merit (OOM), which is published on an online call-forward list that will be published on 18 October 2023 for Phase 3 (Final Selection).
Final Selection is a five-week phase comprising a four-day programme attended by successful PRs from Phase 2 (Initial Selection), and acts as the final filter to select those suitable for service in the GCSPF and BA. The dates for the Phase 3 (Final Selection) will be from 01 to 14 December 2023 for GCSPF and from 05 to 27 January 2024 for BA.
Potential recruits attending Phase 1 (Registration), Phase 2 (Initial Selection) and Phase 3 (Final Selection) should note the following for the medical assessment:
- If you have had any surgery within the last three years, please bring any medical documentation to help the medical expert to decide on your suitability.
- Do no strenuous activity at least three days before Phase 2 (Initial Selection) or you may fail the medical urine test.
- Do not consume high levels of sugar at least three days prior to Phase 3 (Final Selection) or you may fail the medical urine test.
- Do not expose your ears to loud noises (e.g., loud music, heavy machinery) at least three days prior to Phase 2 (Initial Selection), and Phase 3 (Final Selection), or it may affect your ear examination.
- Do not insert anything in your ears as you could temporarily damage them and fail the ear examination.
Joining the Brigade of Gurkhas
To find out more about joining the Brigade of Gurkhas please visit the British Army Website.
Applicants will be called forward by District and Nagar/Gawn Palika (according to your NPP). The dates for your district will be published on the British Army Website.